A young republicans views of the current state of political affairs

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

You spent my money on what?

If you can't guess political campaigns interest me if not consume most of my attention. But a recent story released by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram stating Texas Congressmen Joe Barton has lost a significant amount of money ($700K) in the stock market.

"What's new?" you might ask. Well he invested his campaign fund into the stock market. To be fair to Rep. Barton what he has done is completely legal. Also, this story probably wouldn't have made news if the market had not dropped about 50% from its October 2007 highs. But I think the underlying principle of what Congressman Barton and other public officials are doing or trying to do with their campaign cash that really irks me.

Correct me if I am wrong but when I or you give money to a political candidate I expect that money to be used, you know, for their campaign, or at least their future campaigns. The reason why I give money is because I hope that the person I gave the money to wins public office and votes the way I think they should vote.

This incident raises the question of what exactly should politicians do with their spare campaign cash when they don't have to spend it for their campaigns?

Barton is acting liking a capitalist and I think capitalism is a great thing, but could there be a conflict of interest with a Congressman's investments and what might be before him on the floor of the House? People have talked about conflicts of interest politicians have based on a politicians private investments. A politicians private investments, like what they invest in their retirement account should be for the most part private. But, I think the issue changes when the funds come from the voting public and to be used specifically for running for a public office.

But the campaign cash being invested is not the only issue. Rep. Barton probably has some fees associated with his investment account like commission etc. Who here would be willing to give money to a politician to pass along to a broker?

I know the family who scrimped and saved money to contribute to a politician because they believed in the politician wouldn't be happy to know their contribution went to pay a broker.

But, what Rep. Barton and others have done pales in comparison to what former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich is trying to do with his campaign fund. The former governor has asked that his campaign be allowed to use his campaign fund for his legal defense. If you don't know the ex-governor is on trial for racketeering and fraud.

The decision for the Blagojevich matter is in the hands of US District Judge James Zagel and a decision is not expected to be made until May 1st. I hope the good judge comes to his senses and doesn't allow the ex-governor access to campaign funds.

I think it would be refreshing if politicians couldn't use their campaign contributions to get them out of jail for crimes they committed while they were in public office. I also think it would be refreshing if politicians invested their cash maybe in US Treasury bonds rather than the stock of the day. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment