A young republicans views of the current state of political affairs

Sunday, January 11, 2009

I wanted to show everyone this story because I don't think it's getting enough press.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=30143

In summary what Speaker Pelosi is planning on doing is changing the way the House of Representatives have operated since 1995. They key reforms include:

-Ending a six year term limit for Committee chairs
-Restrict Republicans (or any minority party) from offering alternative legislation
-Restrict Republicans from attaching amendments to democratic bills

I personally believe that repealing this options is undemocratic. In fact I am surprised it look until 1995 to create rules like the one's above. I have not seen comments from Speaker Pelosi or other members of the Democratic Majority discussing why it is vital that these reforms be reversed. I do not believe that the House of Representatives should operate in this manner in which an alternative opinon is not allowed. I think that our founders created Congress to be the place where there is open debate about issues that effect America. I have many questions that come to my mind including:

How does the reversal of these reforms create any sort of open debate?
Is this something the American people would actually want?
Why aren't Democratic leaders openly talking about their plans?

I can answer the first two questions, I believe this squashes the opinon of the minority party and I believe most Americans would oppose this idea. I am not able to figure out why Democratic Leaders are not more public about their plans other then they know it would spark outrage across America.

I don't believe there is anytime in this country where we should shut down the minority opinion. There is going to be a large debate about how to spend trillions (that's right trillions) of dollars and Speaker Pelosi wants to have a debate in the back room with only her friends. That is shameful. That is change but not positive change.

No comments:

Post a Comment